I've been asked a lot about what blush, what foundation, what's that lip color I use so I thought I'd make my second Tuesday Round Up around what I keep in my makeup bag. I was lucky enough to work for Sephora for almost 10 years and picked up a few tips along the way! Here I'm sharing my daily routines, tips and the products I've tried, tested and approved! ;)
Ok. let's talk complexion! I generally go one of two ways with my complexion. 1. Natural but still pulled together complexion for everyday running around with kids & grocery store kind of days. 2. Evening out flawless face completion routine. Below are each of these routines so you can choose what is best for your needs.
- I always prime with Laura Mercier Radiance Primer, this product is AMAZING! It gives a beautiful lit from within look to your complexion. I love how it can make my sometimes tired dull face (hey I'm a mom!) look more glowy and youthful. Trust me, it's a game changer.
- I let that set for a few minutes and then apply Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer with my fingertips. I have found this tinted moisturizer to have just the right amount of coverage without making me look cakey. I also prefer the oil free version even though I have normal/dry skin because the other seems to slide around on my skin a bit.
- I let that set while I brush my teeth then follow it with a touch of my favorite go to blush Mac Fleur Power. I swear to you this blush is the bomb! I don't say that lightly. I literally get so many questions about this blush and have been wearing it for more years then I can count. It's bright but in that pinched cheeks kinda way.
- Just as above I prime with Laura Mercier Radiance Primer but follow with Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation. I warm it up on my fingertips and lightly apply all over my face with light tapping motions. I'm sure you're wondering why fingers instead of brush application??? It's really preference, because my skin is on the drier side I feel my fingertips give a softer look as with the brush I've noticed I have to work extra hard to get my foundation to rest right.
- I spot apply a little Cle De Peau Beaute Concealer anywhere needed like the occasional blemish. I have tried a million concealers and this is by far the best and worth the $$$$ price tag! It is so easy to blend, to be honest I barely even have to blend it. It melt perfectly into the skin and doesn't change to a weird color throughout the day.
- Next I give myself a dusting of Cover FX Mineral Foundation with a large powder brush just in the T-Zone to keep shine down and set everything. If you are really dry you can skip this step. If you want MAX coverage you can apply this all over the face more generously.
- I'm not much of contour person mainly because who's got the time to paint their face with 4 different foundations?!?! But I do like to dust some bronzer on the high points of my face where the sun naturally hits; forehead/below cheekbones/chin and add some highlighter to the apples of my cheeks/brow bones/cupids bow. My favorite all in one to work with for this right now is Hourglass Ambient Lighting Set. It has everything you need and the texture is gorgeous! This baby will give you luminosity and if you are someone who loves to contour this will be your best friend. Within this palette there are two beautiful blushes in cool and warm tones, that I love for a night out because of the lovely glow they give, so pretty!
- Ok stay with me, almost done! Last but not least, I finish everything off with a light spray of Coola Suncare Setting Spray! This sets my makeup for the night and keeps it flawless for hours! LOVE LOVE LOVE! As a bonus it also has and SPF 30 built into. You can never have to much protection. I also use this as the last step to my above Natural Everyday routine to boost the lasting power and give me the additional SPF benefits.
I know the above seems like a lot but it seriously takes me 5min flat! :)
I'm complete lip product junkie! Like I have a separate makeup bag just for my lip products kinda junkie. I can't get enough and I'm always on the hunt for that new color I don't already have. The above are my current fave colors and products. A special shout out to Mac Huggable Lips in Bare Lips because these babies last all day without making my lips look dry but actually plump and moist like a balm.
One area where I don't mess around with is my eyebrows! Back in the 90's when Kate Moss and her supah thin brows where all the rage (totally aging myself), I decided to basically annihilate mine! They basically have not been the same since and I have had to take a lot of extra time in my routine to get them to look just right. Full disclosure though, I recently had Semi Permanent Hair Strokes done and it's changed my life! It's basically temporary brow tattooing that mimics your own hair growth pattern, super natural. Sorry, I digress! If you have any questions on that I'd be happy to answer anything.
Ok, about brows... We have all seen the tragic over-plucked brows or half moons as I like to call them. You don't want to be that girl! Thick full brows are super on trend. They truly frame the eyes and face so beautifully! If you've done a number on your brows like myself, seek a professional to help you grow them out ASAP! They will guide you on how to properly tweeze and shape them to give you the best look for your face shape. The Anastasia counter at most Nordstroms actually offers this service and I highly recommend it.
My brow & Eyes routine before Hair Strokes
I start by filling them in with Anastasia Brow Powder and a MAC Brow Wiz Pencil following the natural arch of the brow. Then I fill in any really sparse areas with the Anastasia Brow Wiz Pencil in upward strokes, the way the hair actually grows and brush them upwards to give them a natural full effect.
Again this was my routine before I had the Hair Strokes procedure done but I still occasionally fill them in a bit using the same products/techniques if I want a dramatic brow for the night.
For Liner I use Stila Smudge Liner in Lionfish. It's creamy and does not move once it dries so no raccoon eyes! For daytime I smudge a little along the upper lash line. For nighttime I go a little more dramatic by smudging a much thicker line then use smudge brush to take it up in the corners to create a slight winged eyeliner look. Then smudge whatever is left on my brush onto the bottom outer last line. Make sure to work quick with this liner, it dries very fast! I usually do one eye at a time.
Fish with my favorite Lancome Hypnose Drama Mascara, at least two coats! I only like to use mascara on the upper lashes as I like to open up my eyes and using on both top and bottom can tend to close the eyes up. Be careful with this mascara, it is super creamy and can easily clump. I really like a dramatic look so it works for me. If you want something more natural and more of just soft length try Lancome Definicils. Sometimes I even use both! Ha! For days when I'm going to be sweating like gym or pool days, I switch to Bobby Brown No Smudge Mascara. Doesn't move but gentle on my sensitive eyes!
And that's a wrap folks! I hope you like this post and would love to hear any questions or comments you have! Also feel free to share any of your favorite makeup treasures and tips. Cuz I need more makeup right?! ;)/
Thanks so much for stopping by and cheers friends!